A Church Keeping Pure for Jesus Christ
Text: Ephesians 5, [Eph 4:17-32; 5:1-21]
by Bob Young
We begin in chapter 4. Do you remember your past?, v. 17-24
Specifics: v. 25-32
- 2:1ff, this is the past of every person w/o the gifting of God.
- but that is all reversed....2:11ff....
- Now in CJ things are different, v. 20-24. Do you remember your past well enough to see the difference?
- knowing, hearing, learning in accordance with truth
- put off past, deceit, develop new attitude, like God in true righteousness and holiness.
- not of self, gift of God. Rteous of God, holiness of God
- truth speaking, for we are all members of one body, note motivation--one body
- without anger, note motivation--not give devil foothold
- with honest, no stealing, but working, useful, note motivation--sharing with those in need
- healthy-speaking, note motivation--building up others according to their needs and to benefit them
- not grieve Spirit of God, for he is present, seal for redemption
Summary, v. 31-32
- bitterness, rage, anger, brawling, slander, malice
- kind, compassionate (to one another), forgiving (each other), note motivation (because God forgave us in Christ)
I. Live in love
Motivation: Christ loved us, gave self, sacrificed self for us. What does it mean to live in love?
- A. Lifestyle
- 1. No immorality, impurity, greed, obscenity, foolish talk, course joking, but rather holiness, thanksgiving
- 2. No immoral, impure, greedy, idolator can inherit
- 3. do not be deceived
- B. Associations
- 1. Do not associate with--empty words, disobedience
II. Live in light
Motivation: remember that you were once darkness. What does it mean to live as children of light?
- A. Lifestyle--fruit of light, goodness, rteousns, truth, pleasing God
- B. Associations--do not associate, rather expose, reprove
III. Live in wisdom
Motivation: be careful, no one purposefully falls, heart issues. What does it mean to live in wisdom?
- A. Lifestyle--how you live, making the most of every opportunity, being aware that days are evil, not foolish but understanding God's will, not drunken
- B. Associations--filled with Spirit, associating joyfully with one another, singing, giving thanks to God, submitting to one another in the context of the body
Do I, do we? Live in love, light, wisdom? Immediately, yes.
Which of the ch. 4-5 instructions is most difficult for you? Focus on that one as we close. How can you be pure for Jesus Christ this week?
Last updated March 14, 2011