bits from bob....
Meditation on the Lord's Prayer
[permission is given to reprint with credit noted]
"After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen." (Matthew 6:9-13 KJV).
An Interpretation For All Of Us
The model for Christian prayer in Matthew 6 is known as the Lord's Prayer. Many of us have recited this prayer for years, but havenever truly meditated on its meaning. The following are spiritual snippets based on the Lord's Prayer that can help deepen your prayer life with God:
- "Our Father" -- God wants us to approach Him as "Daddy" (Aramaic: Abba). He wants to take care of us and protect us. God desires intimacy. Remember, He has infinite love and grace. God wants us to be secure in His family as adopted children and heirs.
- "Which Art in Heaven" -- Look up to God. Fear Him and revere Him. He is all-powerful and can deal with all our problems, even the big ones. But He loves us so much that He doesn't stay up there.
- "Hallowed be Thy Name" -- Holy, holy, holy. Approach God with awe and wonder. Save the word "awesome" for God. Live a life that honors Him.
- "Thy Kingdom Come" -- "Take this job and love it!"
Working on behalf of God'skingdom is the ultimate joy. Bloom where you're planted. Do everything as unto the Lord. Find your gifts and use them. Be open to God's leading each day.
- "Thy Will Be Done" -- God is the potter; we are the clay. God keeps us spinning on His potter's wheel, shaping and reshaping us as He bathes our lives in tears to make us more Christ-like so He can use us for His will. Surrender daily. Keep your clay moist through daily prayer.
- "On Earth as it is in Heaven" -- Thy will be done - not my will be done!
- "Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread" -- Trust! God will provide for our needs. His eye is on the sparrow and I know He cares for me.
- "Forgive Us Our Debts as We Forgive Our Debtors" -- Forgiveness = Surrender. Don't carry your own backpack - surrender it to Him. Revealing the feeling is the beginning of healing. Act as if you have forgiven and the feeling will follow. In our weakness, God sends His strength and peace.
- "Lead Us Not Into Temptation" -- Watch for unrecognized temptation.
Pray, so you won't fall. We are tempted every day. It deepens our walk and
strengthens our faith - but be careful of spiritual blindness. Open my eyes,
Lord, to my blind spots - usehonest friends and family.
- "Deliver Us From Evil" --The Evil One, Satan. We are saved from death to life. Jesus is more powerful than Satan.
- "For Thine Is the Kingdom (obedience), and the Power(confidence) and the Glory (joy), Forever" -- This is our Father's world. Everything we have is His. He is the ruler!