bits from bob....
Finding Stability in an Unstable World
by Robert J. Young
©, 2003, Robert J. Young
[permission is given to reprint with credit noted]
In Isaiah 33:5-6, God sent Isaiah to remind the people that their future depended upon their trust in the Lord, not men. Even when all seems lost, God has the ability to provide salvation, security, and stability.
Though we are almost 3000 years removed from the days of Isaiah, his words are yet true. In unstable times, God provides stability. When all around seems insecure, God provides security. When questions abound on every side about salvation, salvation comes from the Lord.
Our Unstable World
- What kinds of things disturb you as we face life in this world? What kind of things turn our world upside down and take away our stability?
- How does the uncertainty of our world affect people you know? What kind of things upset our sense of security?
- Why do people react differently to the same conditions--some with faith and some with doubt? Why do some people find God's salvation so difficult to accept while others find it easy?
Our Stable God
When we are stabilized by God's wisdom and knowledge, secured by his protection and provision, and know his salvation, we have all we need in unstable times. These provide stability for facing life and stability to face death.
- God provides strength and stability for life through wisdom and knowledge (Isa. 33:6). With the wisdom and knowledge which come from the Lord, we can face life (Prov. 2:6-22; 3:21-26). We must seek to acquire such wisdom and knowledge in our dependence upon God (James 1:5-8).
- God provides security for life through his protection and provision. The awareness that God provides helps us face life.
- God provides salvation that extends beyond this life. The awareness that God provides helps us face the future, whatever it may hold (2 Cor. 4:16-18; 5:1,5-8).
Becoming Stable PeopleFocus on the Lord. A double-minded man is unstable in all his ways (James 1:8).
Fear of the Lord (Isa. 33:6) The fear of the Lord is the begining of wisdom (Prov. 1:7; 9:10; Eccl. 12:10). Dependence upon God is the key to his security. The fear of the Lord is vital (Prov. 16:6; 14:26,27).
Faith in the Lord. Faith is essential to receiving salvation (Acts 10:34-35; 13:26; Phil. 2:12).
Those unstable in troubled times generally lack wisdom, security, and salvation. Without focus, the fear of the Lord and faith, life is tremendously upsetting. With these in our lives, we are prompted to turn from evil and turn to the Lord. With these as part of our lives, we can know what the Hebrew writer knew (Heb. 13:5-6).
I pray that you will let God provide you with stability, security, and salvation in unstable times.
Go to Articles Index
Last updated November 20, 2003.