bits from bob....
Was it yesterday that the children rejoiced (and the parents mourned) over the last day of school? Now Labor Day--the official end of summer--is past and school is in full swing. Teachers (and students) already know who is prepared and who is not.
In all of life, preparation is essential. You are running late if you are still gathering classroom supplies, backpacks, lunch boxes, and school clothes. It is not too late, however, to gather the elements which help develop spiritual vigor and boldness. Summer is over, the interruption of routine schedules less frequent. Are you prepared for a spiritually vital life this fall? Here is a checklist.
1. Check your attitudes. Do you love God? Do you hate sin? Do you love truth? Do you despise falsehood? Do you love others? Do you love yourself? School counselors will tell you that attitude is an important ingredient in a student's success or failure.
2. Check your textbook. Do you regularly depend upon the inspired Word of God to keep you from sin (Psalm 119:11), to guide your pathway (Psalm 119:105), to supply wisdom for living (2 Tim. 3:15-17)? Whatever class you take, there is no substitute for the text recommended by the teacher. The textbook for Christian living is the Bible!
3. Complete your homework. Do you study daily in the text? Are you completing the assignments--worthy living, loving service, faithful worship?
4. Check your classmates. Do you know those in the workplace or school room who are faithful, dedicated Christians? Regular association with those of like faith build us up.
5. Watch out for those tests. Christian living is filled with tests. Check out 1 Peter 1:6-7; 3:15, and James 1:1-15 if you cannot verify this truth firsthand.
Contrary to what you may have thought, this article is as much for adults as for kids! Each of us must be prepared if we are to reflect Christ in our daily walk. Teaching and learning must never stop (Matt. 28:19-20; 2 Pet. 1:5-10). Do your soul a favor--as you go back to school or back to the workplace after a busy summer, go back to Bible School too!
Go to Articles Index