bits from bob....
What Can I Do?
by Robert J. Young
©, 2001, Robert J. Young
[permission is given to reprint with credit noted]
Most of us have felt frustration and futility of wanting to do more to help others know about Jesus than we find opportunity to do. A good way to begin sharing the gospel is by inviting friends and family members to our special Friend and Family Day.
Greg Clark has shared six suggestions to help us practice our hearts' desire.
- 1. Look WITHIN. If your friends are shocked to find out you even go to church, your invitation is in trouble! Change quick. It's never too late to do right.
- 2. Write it DOWN. Even a small list will guide your heart in prayer. We need reminders. Include those you may invite on your prayer card.
- 3. Pray UPWARD to God. Pray for receptive hearts and for wisdom in approaching your friends and family with this special invitation.
- 4. Watch OUT. Be tactful. Ask privately, knowing that the whole crowd may influence individual decisions in the wrong direction.
- 5. Keep ON. Be persistent. Continue to ask in creative ways. Bring up the topic again. Emphasize how important this matter is to you. Reassure them of your love and concern.
- 6. Do not give UP. Make it happen. Arrange to come by and pick them up for class and worship. Help them be comfortable by explaining the things that will take place. Remember the challenge that every member will eat with someone else on that day. Invite others to dine with you. Then relax and enjoy--knowing you have been a friend on Friend Day!
Go to Articles Index
Last updated November 28, 2001.